Burdett 1/20/2004: Auction Use Case

Burdett, David wrote:

> As promised, here's the auction use case. To make it a bit more
> interesting I've included some descriptions of how problems are
> handled as well as the dependency of one use case on another.
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> David
>

> Director, Standards Strategy
> Commerce One
> One Market Street, Steuart Tower, Suite 1300, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
> Tel/VMail: +1 (415) 644 8700; Cell: +1 (925) 216 7704
> <mailto:david.burdett@commerceone.com>; Web:
> <http://www.commerceone.com <http://www.commerceone.com/>>

mm1: Comments to use case. Thanks for doing this, David.
Buyer Registration

    * Registration may occur outside of the choreography. Implies
      context / policy items.
    * See WSRP on their registration that does this associated with web
      services, not specific to choreography. Where do we draw the line,
      and more notably with the registration be observable.  Likely, not.

Auction Notification

    * The buyer could respond that they will not currently bid. However,
    * they be allowed to monitor as they can bid for another party or
      later bid.  What is meant by 'no' or 'negative' response - in
      context of participation, monitoring, etc?

Need to differentiate notification messages. They are not the same and
the processing or implications will be different. Differences may be
understood above the choreography [1].

Previous no or negative response are ambiguous to stop message.  Perhaps
they just monitor and do not explicit ask not to participate.

Placing the Bid: Bid notification may also be private. [1]

Closing the bid: Same comment on visibility. [1]

[1] possible business semantics May also impact auction status or search.