Re: WSDL and pub/sub

david.burdett@commerceone.com wrote:

>Farrukh
>
>Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense. Here's another question as I am really trying to get my mind around this ...
>
>Suppose, that you want to build an auction capability using the the following services, for example:
>1. User Registration - registers a user
>2. Auction Registration - records a registered user's interest in an auction
>3. Bid Placement - a user that has registered an interest in an auction places a bid
>4. Bid Notification - users that have registered an interest are notified of successful bids placed
>4. Bid Result - the winner of the auction (if any) and other interested users are notified of the result of the auction
>3. Winning Bid Payment - the winner of the auction pays, by credit card
>
>Let's go further and assume that:
>1. There are existing User Registration and Winning Bid Payment services that the operator of the auction wants to use
>2. Bids are not automatically accepted, for example they must be higher than any previous bid and perhaps mulitples of $10, if that what the auction rule says
>3. Users must be registered before they can bid.
>
>This sounds to me to be more than what the ebXML Resistry was designed for.

I agree that this is begining to sound like an Auction application that
use ebXML Registry in its
implementation. Even so, the ebXML Registry can provided much more than
one might think. For example it can do the following:

-Serve as a User Registration service based upon strong DSIG based
authentication and custom  Role Based Access Control using XACML 1.0
standard.

-Allow app specific content validation to be applied before accepting a
content (e.g. Bid lower than highest bid wont be accepted, Users must be
registered before they can bid.)

>So some more questions:
>1. Could you sensibly use the pub/sub part of ebXML RR in the above example.

I believe you can. It can provide some basic features that the
application can be built upon.

>2. If you can, you still have the problem of defining how you combine the ebXML RR pub/sub protocol with other existing protocols to ensure that they occur in the correct sequence.
>
>Don't misunderstand me, I do think that ebXML RR has great value in maintaining information about "static" objects, e.g. WSDL definitions, schemas, etc, I'm just not sure that it is the appropriate technology to use for this use case.

Just to clarify. I stated early in this thread that:

"I too occasionally wonder about whether registries *SHOULD* play a role
in multi-party collaboration but have no doubt about their need to
support a content based event notification feature."

But I have no doubts that it *COULD* be used for this use case .

If one views the registry like a database for web services as I do then
I do not see this use case as an abuse of ebXML Registry. Many people
are using ebXML Registry as a general purpose database/CMS for web services.

I defer to you and other ws-choreography folks on whether such uses of
ebXML Registry make sense for this use case.

--
Regards,
Farrukh