RE: WSDL and pub/sub

Steve

Giving this a bit of thought makes me think that the essence of pub-sub is

1. The publisher sets up a service that accepts subscriptions requests and
changes for some other service that actually publishes documents/messages.
2. The subscriber then requests subscription to a service by sending a
messge which then gets either accepted or rejected.
3. When the subscriber makes the request, they must include some kind of
"delivery address" that identifies where documents/messages etc, generated
by the publisher must be sent
4. If the request is accepted, then the publisher will return some kind of
"identifier" for the subscription that can later be used when changing or
cancelling the subscription
5. The publisher starts publishing documents. This is a one-way message
although it might be delivered reliably
6. The publisher continues publishing documents until: a) the subscription
is cancelled, or b) the subscription runs-out, e.g. a certain period of time
has passed, a specific number of messages/documents have been received, the
subscriber hasn't paid.

From a CDL perspective, the "delivery address" is what the Overview Model
calls a "Channel". This means that to use it, we need to have a way of
representing the Channel in XML and decie how it should be included in the
message. My thoughts would be the body.

The rest sounds to me like a pretty regular Choreography Definition with
dependencies, e.g. you can't cancel a subscription unless you managed to
subscribe to it successfully.

Another question is should such a Pub-Sub Choreography be standardized as I
am sure the need for Pub-Sub goes beyond WS Chor. For example you could
imagine a definition that allowed you to manage a subscription to any web
service then later cancel it. However you would need standard XML docs to be
used as Message Content for the Interactions in the Pub Sub.

Also where should such a spec be developed ... by WSDL, by WS Chor? I'm not
sure I know the answer to that one.

David