Re: question: relation between WS-CDL and WSCI

Nickolas Kavantzas wrote:

See comments about WS-CDL below.

--
Nick

Titi Roman wrote:

>Hi Assaf,
>Thanks a lot for clarifying some things...still some questions in-line.
>

>Which are these other proposals(I am just trying to understand what you
>meant by "any language can be viewed as operational compared to a more
>abstract language")?

find a lot of discussions about various proposals for what a
choreography language should be. By proposal I mean any idea put on the
table, including ideas for specifications to be written and ideas for
revising existing specifications. There was a lot of discussions and a
lot of great ideas thrown around.

One of the points of contention, aside from who's view is it, was the
proper level of abstraction, with different proposals arguing for
different levels of abstractions. Generally speaking, a proposal that
advocates independence from WSDL would tend to view a proposal like WSCI
as being too operational and not abstract enough. WSCI however deals
with interfaces and behavior types, and would consider an execution
language like BPEL to be too operational and not abstract enough.

>Does these mean that WSCI is really dead (as Steve Ross-Talbot pointed out
>in one of his emails)?

No effort to take it to the next step and no vendor product support that
I know of.

>As far as I understood and please correct me if I am wrong, WS-CDL supports
>only "global model"(i.e. the multi-participant view of the overall message
>exchange) - this sounds to me as a static linking between web services. What
>about the dynamic linking between ws from the point of view if
>coneversation?

It's a linkage between two interfaces, not two services. So it's not static in the respect that a global model only links service A and service B. And the linkage is there to allow composition, so you can reuse the same interface in any number of compositions (global models) that fits.

Assaf