Re: Web Services Choreography Description Language (WS-CDL) proposal

Nick,

here are the comments that I have already sent to you wrt to Oracle
contribution.

I now share them as a matter of record.

My main issue with the spec is that it involves active participation in
the choreography between participants, which means that legacy
webservices are not going to be able to be included, which will limit
the take up.

It also does not 'extend' or build upon existing web service
interactions (i.e. message exchanges). Instead it defines the concept
of shared state between participants, which needs to be synchronized
before associated interactions can be triggered. This is very ECA like,
as opposed to passive monitoring of workflow.

I don't think state information should be visible outside the web
service, other than the information provided as part of a message
exchange. My preferred choreography notation would simply define a
workflow coordination of high level message types, which reference the
actual message types in the WSDL interfaces. Also, I think it would be
better to approach the problem by defining a collection of short lived
stateful choreographies, that when they are each performed, obtain the
relevant business context as part of their initial interactions (e.g.
first request should provide a reference/customer id, etc. - which is
the same model as most human and electronic interactions in today's
business/web). This can also be mapped on to the more short lived
connection oriented approach.

I think the language should be in support of a passive approach, acting
as a definition of an agreed collaboration, which can then be used to
(1) help construct the individual (decoupled) participant web services,
based on the observable behaviour they must exhibit, and then (2) used
by each participant to verify that they (and their partners) are
correctly implementing the choreography.

A central mechanism for policing the choreography is not required if
each participant (that is interested in obeying the choreography
definition) has the necessary checks defined in their local
implementations - which can be aided by the use of tools that
understand the external observable behaviour that is required.

Cheers

Steve T