Re: Co-ordination protocol and BPEL

  From: Ricky Ho
  To: Mark Little ; public-ws-chor@w3.org
  Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 12:53 AM
  Subject: Co-ordination protocol and BPEL

  Mark,  I think there are two parts ...

  1) A mechanism to pass context around participants so that they know the piece of work is just part of a bigger transaction.
  2) A mechanism to terminate this bigger transaction so that each participant will know its final outcome.

  My understanding is that WS-C covers the first and WS-Tx covers the second.

  However, I don't see how this fits naturally into the current BPEL model.

  BPEL integration with WS-C
  =====================
  How do I associate a "scope" with the "context" of the message that I just receive ? (especially when the <receive> is in the middle of the BPEL process).

  I'd like to see something like the following in BPEL

  <process>
      <sequence>
          <receive newScope="true" ....>
              <scope>
                  <TerminationHandler> ... </TerminationHandler>
              </scope>
          </receive>
      </sequence>
  </process>

  BPEL integration with WS-Tx
  ======================
  I'd like to see something like the following in BPEL

  <process>
      <sequence>
          <receive newScope="true" ....>
              <scope>
                  <PrepareHandler> ... </PrepareHandler>
                  <CancelHandler> ... </CancelHandler>
                  <CommitHandler> ... </CommitHandler>
                  <CompensationHandler> ... </CompensationHandler>
             </scope>
          </receive>
      </sequence>
  </process>

  Thoughts ??

Ricky, what do you expect in your PrepareHandler, since BPEL doesn't have a notion of preparing a transaction. Is this not a carry-over from BTP?

Mark.