Re: Straw-man Proposal for our mission statement

At 18:46 +0100 5/12/03, Steve Ross-Talbot wrote:
><x-flowed>
>Having seen Kick and Daniel's contributions and other comments, how
>does this sound:
>
>Mission Statement
>The mission of the W3C Web Services Choreography working group is to
>define a language complementary to WSDL such that a common view (global
>view) of business process interactions where roles and responsibilities
>are clearly defined in a way that is automatable for each participant,
>machine readable and in a manner whereby each participants involvement
>can be validated and such that the life cycle of those interactions may
>be short and/or long lived.

with due respect, there's some sort of problem in the above from a
parsing viewpoint - there seems to be something dangling clause-wise,
other than that, I like it, except I'm a bit puzzled on the
"validated" part - what does it mean that an involvement can be
validated -- if I buy a book from WebServ1 does that mean I can check
to see if the book arrived?

>Focus
>Our focus will be that part of interaction that is externally visible
>as opposed to any internal private behaviour. Our aim is to capture
>this externally visible behaviour and to provide the means to compose
>web services or support the composition of new web services from
>existing web services such that these services can also provide an
>externally visible behavioural description, can participate in further
>composition and be validated against any subsequent interaction.

I like this

>Approach
>The approach that we intend to take is based on the capture of use
>cases reflecting our mission statement and our focus in parallel with
>CSF analysis to underpin the continued and  future business relevance
>of our efforts.

+1 here also

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler