RE: Straw-man Proposal for our mission statement

From: Jon Dart <jdart@tibco.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 17:18:31 -0700
To: public-ws-chor@w3.org

 >>      I don't necessarily buy the argument that we are only talking
about
 >>the interactions between one WSDL-ized object and another. WSDL is
just
 >>one
 >>way of doing things. Web Services should not be explicitly limited to
WSDL
 >>interface, IMHO.

I am not quite sure who authored this snippet .. but in any case: this
was discussed on this list at some length earlier. I don't want to
prematurely close the issue if it is indeed still open. I am aware that
WSA is still groping towards a workable definition of "Web service", and
at least some definitions encompass services w/o WSDL descriptions.

However, IMHO constraining choreography to involve services having WSDL
descriptions is not a severe constraint. Choreography is envisioned --
however vaguely -- as another level in the WS stack, building on
existing levels. WSDL exists in that stack as the language for
service-level metadata. And IMO we likely need such metadata to build a
workable expression of choreography.

--Jon