Re: pi-calculus ...

Nickolas Kavantzas wrote:

>Jean-Jacques Dubray wrote:
>

>>Two more points from the discussion.
>>1) ultimately, I think that it will be possible to map the ws-chor
>>metamodel to the pi-calculus metamodel (since pretty much all message
>>exchange can be modeled with pi). As a result, one can view ws-chor
>>metamodel as syntactic sugar as it was expressed in the call, but this
>>sugar also helps reducing the need for PhD to write chor-definitions.
>>

>The WS-CHOR metamodel/XML-language is what we SHOULD define based on some formal model.
>
>Pi-c or a flavour of that, is a good candidate for the base of our work because it allows one with very few fundamental constructs to describe how programs can work together in parallel by just sending and receiving names (values & references). These constructs are Interaction Channels, send operation, receive operation, compose operation, restrict operation, replicate operation, send/receive-guards continuations.

I'm not sure if the term meta-model is used here consistently.

There's an abstract model of the language that is not married to any
particular syntax. So the abstract model may have some component like an
action and a component like a sequence which is a collection of
activities. That E-R diagram is in my opinion part of the abstract
model, but it only says how you build the information, not what it
means. So it would say that a sequence may contain one or more
activities, but that says nothing about what a sequence does. From the
E-R I may conclude that these are "evil activities" that should never be
executed. The abstract model also includes additional rules, some of
which are not expressible in XML schema (the syntax). For example, the
fact that the collection of activities in a sequence must be ordeded,
but the one for a branch or parallel flow does not require ordering. So
there needs to be more information in the abstract model than can be
easily captured in an E-R diagram.

The question I would like to be answered is, what is the meta-model? Is
it the E-R diagram of the abstract model components? It is just another
name for the abstract model? Is it something more inclusive then the
abstract model, e.g?

arkin