RE: pi-calculus ...

From: Jean-Jacques Dubray <jjd@eigner.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 07:35:03 -0400
To: "'Nickolas Kavantzas'" <nickolas.kavantzas@oracle.com>
Cc: "'Steve Ross-Talbot'" <steve@enigmatec.net>, <public-ws-chor@w3.org>

To the best of my knowledge, pi-calculus does not seem to have the
concepts of "correlated" messages such request/response (a.k.a. MEP). It
does not have also the notion of exception.

I remain convinced that the ws-chor metamodel will be, we should be able
to map it to pi-calc concepts because precisely the theory deals with
simple message exchanges and everything in a choreography boils down to
a message exchange between ports.

Another big hurdle I see, is that the pi-calc metamodel forces us to
"see" the choreography only via the processes that implement it, it does
not offer a neutral or independent view of the choreography. I feel that
these two views are complementary (neutral and process) and almost
always isomorphic but I steel prefer to offer designers the neutral

Now, what does it mean to define ws-chor metamodel based on a formal
model (is it equivalent to say it can be mapped to a formal model)?
Ultimately we have a set of requirements. When the pi-calculus (or any
other formal model), it is likely that only a fraction of these
requirements were taken into consideration when the model was developed.

If you look at the pi-calc metamodel I published (I don't claim it is
complete - http://www.ebpml.org/metamodel.htm), then one could say, yes
any choreography specification should have operators (the ones of
pi-calc may not be enough), similarly it may have activities (the ones
of pi-calc sound good), but then I would argue that the notion of port
makes it more difficult to define complex MEPs. If you adopt the neutral
point of view you look at message flow, and a message flows between an
output port in one process to an input port into another process. These
two ports are typically redundant, a message and a direction between 2
roles is typically enough, actually, it is even better if you consider
MEPs, because you just specify the MEP and the role which initiates the
MEP, then all messages exchanged as part of the MEP are defined. You
save a lot of definitions by doing so. In a way, I am pretty sure that
one could turn around pi-calculus and replace the notion of "port" by
MEP and "process" by choreography and use pretty much the same
formalism. Unfortunately I am either not smart enough and/or don't have
the time to prove it.

Ultimately, it is not this basic metamodel (based on a formal model)
that will establish the value of ws-chor it is rather our understanding
(translated as semantics of the metamodel) of notions such as
role/binding, exception handling, types of MEPs, ...