Re: Multi-Party Binding Scenario

Burdett, David wrote:

> Assaf
>
> I think you have two main questions:
> 1. You can express things like VAT info as an optional element using
> minOccurs="0", and
> 2. You don't see much value in creating templates that can be used by
> any industry.
>
> I disagree on both counts ...
>
> USING OPTIONAL ELEMENTS
> If you want to *totally* rely on optional elements then you would need
> to define an order document that contained all the information
> required no matter what country, what industry, what business process,
> etc it was being used in.

Not necessary. I just wanted to indicate that it's possible for a
document to contain information that will not necessarily be available
in all messages and to express that fact. There are many possible ways
to do that in XML, see below.

> This approach is clearly impractical as the time required to do all
> the analysis would be excessive. Even if you did, then it would only
> require some legislator to require some additional element in an order
> document to mean that your generic order definition was inadequate.

Absolutely right. I agree with you on the principles, I just don't see
where the problem is, see below.

> Therefore you *have* to allow new documents to be formed by extending
> existing ones. This means you will get multiple different document
> definitions with multiple different namespaces. Following this
> approach also means that you don't have to get order definition
> perfect first time. The article I mention below explains why this is,
> IMO, the only way that works.

This is where I disagree. I can define a template document that contains
all the information I know will always be there, and define a
choreography that references that information. That's important if I
want to express that an advance shipping notice will go to the shipping
address, but an invoice will go to the billing address. And obviously, I
know both bits of information will be contained in every PO.

But you raise a good point: do I need to know all information that will
ever possibly be contained in a message in order to make that work? If
that's the case, this approach is flawed. Or can I define some of that
information but allow other information to be included for a given
business context. For example, in Europe the PO will contain VAT
information, in the US the billing address would contain the state name,
and if the PO is based on a quote it will also have to reference that
quote. All that information is either optional, or additional.

XML Schema gives me two ways to deal with optional information (#1 and
#2 below) and three ways to deal with additional information (#3-#5
below) while still being able to express that part of the information
that is mandatory without having to switch namespaces:

1. Elements with minOccurs=0 (may or may not occur)
2. <choice> (one or the other)
3. <any> and <anyAttibute> (put anything you like)
4. derivation by extension (add anything you like)
4. substitution elements (similar but for elements instead of types)

So I can define a purchase order that will always have a billing
address, and I can include the VAT information as an element where <any>
appears and add the state code by having a USAddress that
extends/substitutes Address.

I want to say that I've only looked at a few UBL examples out of the
many, but I can't see anything that cannot be expressed in that
extensible manner using XML Schema.

> CREATING TEMPLATES THAT CAN BE USED BY ANY INDUSTRY
> Let's not forget the SMEs (small and medium enterprises). They have
> the problem that they have few resources and a small budget for their
> IT. This means that they cannot afford to implement the multiple
> different choreographies that would result if everyone developed their
> own way of doing business. The *only* way, IMO, to get SMEs involved
> in eCommerce, is if there are some generally accpeted choreographies
> that can be used for doing business as then the SMEs will be able to
> buy off-the-shelf software that allows them to pariticpate.

I agree. But the question is: do you define one choreography for all PO
in the automative industry, or do you define a template that all
possible B2B scenarios would use?

In the first case you benefit from uniformity, that's very important.
But you build a choreography that is rooted in some known information
that is communicated (see above how to express it regardless of country,
or even to extend it whether you're dealing with passenger cars, trucks
or motorcycles). In the second case you have templates that ignore the
information, are even more reusable, but are constrained to the least
common denominator between the auto industry, airline industry, retail
industry, etc.

> This is also important to big business. EDI often only worked its way
> down the top two tiers (levels) of the supply chain because the lower
> levels of the supply chain could not afford to participate in the
> myriad different protocols that the "big guys" wanted them to use. As
> a result, the speed of the whole supply chain was (and is) slowed down
> pushing up costs due to additional inventory that must be held to
> compensate.

Let's look at EDI for example. EDI defines a number of business
transactions with flows = choreography. And for each business
transaction you know what the messages look like. So you can express
that transaction in terms of the messages exchanged, you can say that
advance shipping notice goes to the shipping address but invoce goes to
the billing address. The same for RosettaNet (I'm actually more faimilar
with PIPs than EDI).

I'm trying hard to think of a case where in B2B you would describe a
transaction on the one hand, but not be able to capture the basic
information that is contained in its messages. I'm not saying you know
everything that is part of the message, but in all the cases I've seen
you know enough to write some basic rules based on message contents.

What would be a counter example?

arkin

--
"Those who can, do; those who can't, make screenshots"

Assaf Arkin                                          arkin@intalio.com
Intalio Inc.                                           www.intalio.com
The Business Process Management Company                 (650) 577 4700

If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments
and notify us immediately.