RE: Multi-Party Binding Scenario

From: Ricky Ho <riho@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:12:10 -0800
To: "Burdett, David" <david.burdett@commerceone.com>, public-ws-chor@w3.org

David,

>There are other variation that your example hasn't described
>3) The SHIPPER may send a "arrival notice" message to the BUYER.  How does
>the BUYER know this is the correctly binded SHIPPER ?<<<
>
>The SHIPPER would need to include some reference in the message, e.g. the
>Order No that the BUYER used.

Yes.  This is equivalent to having the shipper sending 2 messages to the buyer
1) I'm binded to the SHIPPER role of conversation 123 (the proof is in my
knowledge of the order number)
2) Here is the arrival notice

>ROLE BINDING USING XPATH
>and
>an XPATH expression to extract that from the message.  Something similar to
>the correlation set in BPEL4WS.<<<
>
>If you include a specific XPATH expression in a choreography, then the
>choreography definition is no longer abstract and therefore cannot be reused
>which means it does not scale. I think the binding implied by the XPATH
>expression should be recorded in a Choreography Binding document that binds
>an abstract Choreography Definition to the specific, services, messages,
>documents, used by a specific implementation.

Completely agree !
The abstract choreography may mention that there will be a "property" in
the message that communicating the binding decision.
The concrete choreography will then associate an XPATH expression to the
"property".

Rgds, Ricky