Scope of Choreography [was Uses of the WS Choreography Spec]

I believe the concerns about variation in message content and meaning can
be addressed by a clear definition of scope of the choreography
specification.
The mechanisms of transport and reliable delivery should be abstracted out
of the choreography, as should the message envelope/packaging.  Furthermore,
the determinination of the validity and meaning of a message should be
performed by the participant's internal business logic/process that is also
abstracted out of the choreography specification.  Let me explain.

Each participant has a public state where possible states and state
transitions
are defined in the choreography.  The public state only changes as a result
of
the receipt or sending of a message.

When a participant sends a message, it's public state is changed to a state
that reflects the possible responses expected.  When a response is received,
the message content is not determined within the scope of the choreography
specification, but is delegated to the internal process/application to which
the response is directed.  The only immediate change to the public state
may be to reflect that the internal process is busy processing the input.
When
the internal process determines the validity and meaning of the input, it
formulates an appropriate response (as constrained by the valid state
transitions
from the current public state), it sends the response and it causes the
public
state to change accordingly.

Consequently, while the public states and state transitions, and message
semantics are referenced by the choreography, the interpretation of the
message
content and the determination of the corresponding public state transition
are accomplised within the internal process/application, and need not be
specified in the choreography.

It may be useful to indicate the "normal" state transitions expected for
each
message input or output in order to focus on the performance of the
exchange,
but the choreography should express all valid exchanges where the messages
are expected to be meaningful, whether or not they represent a successful
business transaction.

Where faults occur in the communication, these must be communicated to
the internal applications for subsequent action. The choreography should be
able to express possible continuation (e.g., retry, re-connect) of the
exchange
in spite of faults or delays.  A time-out would be similar to the receipt of
a bad
message.  It is probably useful to specify the time-out period in the
choreography so there is an understanding of how long a participant will
wait
for a response.  A time-out might be treated differently from a bad message,
but the determination of the resulting public state transition should
probably still be
delegated to the internal process/application.

So it doesn't matter to the choreography how the message is communicated
nor how it is packaged or formatted.  The choreography only deals with the
semantics of the message (i.e., the business intent of the message, such
as new order, acknowledgement, rejection, counter-offer) and the possible
state transitions that will be selected by the internal process/application.

Fred Cummins
EDS