RE: General Choreography and Bi-lateral Choreography

MessageWe have four separate issues.

1. Do we need a model to define a conceptual relation between trading
partners that is not grounded in WS specifically?

I would say yes.

2. Do we need to do that in the WS Choreography working group?

I don't see why. There are other groups that are better equipped to deal
with this issue, e.g. ebXML is doing a lot of work around UMM and have a
stack the focuses on trading partners. I don't see the benefit of having two
open groups do overlapping work. In fact, does anyone think there is a valid
need for replicating the work done by the ebXML groups?

3. Are all form of communication between partners going to be of the SOAP
over Internet?

I would we are moving in that direction but it will never happen. There will
always be manual forms of communication, especially for those businesses
that want to deal with small entities like consumers. There are things that
you would like to do offline, and I can give a good example for why my
insurance company allows me to manage my policy, change it, make payments,
etc online but requires a phone call to cancel the policy. It has nothing to
do with technology or partner agreements: it has to do with business sense.

4. Is that an issue?

Not in practice, because what we see out there are tools that are well
equipped to deal with other forms of communication yet by virtue of tracking
them represent them through a Web service interface. So even though in this
particular case of my insurance company there is a step that is done not
using Web services technology, in fact there is a WSDL representation of
that communication which is used to build a choreography.

When you go out and try to get buyers and sellers to talk to each other
using SOAP over TCP you find that this approach works well but by definition
will always exclude some group of buyers or some group of sellers. And as
per the example above it may have nothing to do with techonology as much as
business sense.

But when, like us, you go and try to define choreographies between buyer and
seller you find out that all that information is in fact captured by WSDL
interfaces. How do you represent the user intent using WSDL? What I tell my
insurance company on the phone is captured down in their system, and their
system exposes a message exchange on my behalf (the proxy approach), which
is part of the choreography between the all center (representing me buyer)
and the back-end system (representing seller).

A year ago I had the same opinion and doubts as you, but after going into
accounts like these and worrying about the limitation of an approach that
could only describe automated forms of interaction, I learned that in
practice this is not a problem we stumble upon.

arkin