2pc as bilateral (from RE: General Choreography and Bi-lateral Choreography)

Good challenge :-)

Yes, there are three choreographies, but the relation between them can
be viewed as by reference, or by contract. The real 2pc relationship is
only the Coordinator:Provider one. The "doWork" message passes a
reference to the Coordinator (probably termed a context). The
coordinator/provider exchange is often fully defined without reference
or knowledge of the details of that. (sometimes there may be something
in the same document, but it is separable, and usually only on of
several alternatives). The context could be passed to the provider (to
be used in the enrollment) by lots of different methods and how it gets
there is not central to 2pc.

The consumer/coordinator relationship is more closely related, but is
also not a necessary part of 2pc - it is the means by which the consumer
delegates control of the 2pc to the coordinator. In general, 2pc does
*not* imply atomicity, it only allows it. The coordinator in your
example is following the (normal) rule of all-or-none among its enrolled
participants. But it could offer a service to the consumer that involved
passing some other rule (ensure confirmation from exactly three (or
none), say). Those variations do not change the interactions between the
coordinator and the provider(s) - the providers still get to see regular
2pc.  Defining the behaviour of the coordinator is part of its contract
with the consumer.  I agree that is perhaps most easily expressed by
assuming all the coordinators communcations use directly
inter-expressible choreographies.

But the primary reqirement is to express the message patterns and their
meanings between directly communicating pairs. Then you don't have to
worry about how the communications "behind" the other party are
implemented (the "consumer" and "coordinator" may be in the same address
space and communicate by proprietory api, for example), nor what level
of visibility, ownership and control is.

Peter