General Choreography and Bi-lateral Choreography

David,

I agree with everything you say.  However, I want to elaborate my view on
multi-party choreography.

Most real life B2B scenario are multi-party interaction.  But "multi-party
interaction" is NOT equivalent to "multi-party choreography".  For example,
a company (or "domain of control") can have an orchestration that span
multiple "bi-lateral" choreographies.  In other words, "multi-party
interaction" can be realized by multiple "bi-lateral" choreographies linked
together by orchestration.  The only thing lost is the sequence
dependencies between message exchanges within choreographies is NOT
captured externally.

I honestly don't think bi-lateral choreography is sufficient to capture
arbitrary public protocol sequence.  For example, the well-known 2-phase
commit protocol cannot be specified using bi-lateral choreography.  So I
agree with you that in a generic sense "choreography" should NOT be
restricted to 2 parties.

Let me rephrase my previous e-mail and say we should define a special case
of choreography called "bi-lateral choreography" by add some restriction
around the generic choreography model.  The purpose is to avoid the
following complexities inherited in the generic multi-party choreography
1) Because message exchange is always bi-lateral.  Therefore, it is
complicated to synchronize the "public state" with all the parties.  Of
course, we can have a 2-phase handshaking protocol similar to
WS-Coordination to achieve that, but this leads to more complication.
2) Dynamic binding between roles and business entities can happen after the
choreography instance is created.  This introduce additional complexity
such as an extra protocol among existing parties to control the rebind, as
well as how to reach a consensus about the rebind.

I bet people will be more interested in "bi-lateral" choreography because
it is much simpler to understand and still can handle 80~90 % of real-life
B2B cases.

Best regards,
Ricky