RE: Choreography and Orchestration

I totally agree with Ricky on separating choreography and orchestration but
disagree with Edwin on restricting collaborations to just two.

Details below.

CHOREOGRAPHY AND ORCHESTRATION
I agree that there is a clear distinction between:
1. The *choreography* that occurs between businesses or what I would
generalize to "domains of control"
2. The *orchestration* of (business) processes within a business (or within
a "domain of control").

The Choreography HAS to be agreed between the parties if interoperability is
to occur. The Orchestration, on the other hand, does not. Better internal
business processes are often a way in which a business realizes competitive
advantage.

WHY DOMAIN OF CONTROL
I am suggesting using the term "domain of control" (or something similar)
because you have the same issues arising, for example, when a business
process needs to interact with any system over which it has no control even
if the system is within the same business.

For example consider a procurement system interacting with an ERP system.
The procurement system might be implemented using an orchestration and
therefore can be changed flexibly, but the ERP has its own internally fixed
and unchangeable rules on the sequence in which messages are exchanged with
it. This means that ERP system is really imposing a constraint on what the
procurement system, in *exactly* the same was as an external business might
impose a constraint on what the procurement system could do. So really there
is a "choreography" between the procurement and and the ERP system since the
procurement system MUST conform to it and cannot control it - even though
they are both being run by the same business.

NUMBER OF PARTIES IN A COLLABORATION
Although you can restrict collaborations to just two, there are several
common use cases when three parties or more parties can be involved, such as
the one at [1] from the WS Architecture list which describes an exchange
between a buyer, a seller and a third party, independent shipper. There is
clearly one transaction going on and it is hard and definitely unnatural to
split the three-party choreography down into a set of two party
interactions, even if it is possible to do. The group might want to consider
this use case when defining the scope of the activity.

So I would suggest that we allow more than two parties to be involved in a
choreography. My personal view is that it is not too difficult to do either.

Regards

David Burdett
Director, Product Management, Web Services
Commerce One
4440 Rosewood Drive, Pleasanton, CA 94588, USA
Tel/VMail: +1 (925) 520 4422; Cell: +1 (925) 216 7704
mailto:david.burdett@commerceone.com;
<mailto:david.burdett@commerceone.com;>  Web: http://www.commerceone.com
<http://www.commerceone.com/>

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Oct/0369.html