Re: Choreography State Definition (was: RE: More requirement

As a practical matter, we can't rely on WS-RM* because the existing
specs are only drafts.

There is also another point. Reliable messaging is a "native" feature of
some transports, such as JMS. If such a transport is part of the Web
services stack then you will get certain guarantees about message
delivery; however, you won't necessarily get a visible alteration in the
message flow (JMS sends acknowledgements, but they're consumed by the
messaging layer: they are not considered messages of the same class as
the data payload delivered to a recipient).

In other words, the fact that RM may involve extra messages (e.g.
acknowledgement) visible at the application layer is not inherent to RM
per se, but is an artifact of implementing RM over an unreliable
transport such as HTTP.

The implication is that you have to treat reliable messaging as a "black
box" at the choreography layer. I.e., if it exists, its supporting
messages are not part of the message exchange captured at the
choreography layer. It is a QOS, nothing more.

There is some implication that you may have to handle timeouts in the
absense of RM.

--Jon