RE: quote use case

Len

I've looked at your use case and think that there are several things going
on.

IT's A PRIVATE BUSINESS PROCESS
Firstly, the use case is written from the perspective of the supplier. Who
has several sets of relationships a) with the buyer, and b) with each
manufacturer.

Secondly, only the supplier has relationships with other other roles, i.e.
the manufacturers don't talk with any other manufacture nor the buyer, and
the buyer only talks to the supplier.

Thirdly, the Supplier is in complete control of all the interactions once he
receives the initial request for quote from the buyer.

These characteristics: one-on-one relationships and control by a single
role, are all the characteristics of a "private business process" which is
ideally defined by a language like BPEL.

IT's SEVERAL CHOREOGRAPHIES COMBINED
That said, there actually three choreographies going on all under the
control of the supplier:
1. The negotiation protocol between the buyer and the supplier,
2. The request for quote protocol that takes place between the buyer and
supplier once the negotiation has successfully completed, and
2. The price and availability protocol between the supplier and the
manufacturers to gather the information to put in the quote.

I also think that there are benefits all round if these choreographies are
defined separately as it would allow different choreographies (i.e. message
exchange sequences) to be used depending on the capabilities of each
participant.

SEPARATE "QUALITY OF SERVICE" FROM THE CHOREOGRAPHY DEFINITION
You also mention in your use case that "some of the key features that must
be accounted for in the choreography include:
. Contract provisions, including
. Service level agreements
. Security provisions
. Privacy provisions
. Non-repudiation"

Although these are important to a specific implementation, the actual
service levels, security, privacy etc that are used could vary from
implementation to implementation and even from instance to instance.

If the sequence of exchanging messages and these "quality of service"
attributes are combined into a single "choreography definition" then the
number of choreography definitions you will need will explode because of the
variation of "quality of service" attributes that will necessdarily occur.

I think a better approach is for the choreography defininition to define
*just* the sequence of exchanging message. The quality of service levels can
then be added when that choreography definition is "bound" to a specific
implementation.

Thoughts?

David