Re: Combining Policies (was RE: Partial executability/ determinis m of a Chor description language

Burdett, David wrote:

> <DB>It's only a done deal because: a) there are dominant networks like
> Visa and Mastercard that can make it work, and b) they have been
> working on it for decades. The issue is that for Web Services, right
> now, there is no "done deal" and it will be some time before it gets
> there. This means, that we should start thiking about what it takes to
> help the "deal get done faster".</DB>

There are a lot of other scenarios like that. I don't care how they came
to be, I know that they exist, and like Visa and Mastercard are very
commonly used. So let's support them. I agree that we should also help
the "deal get done faster". But where the agreement problem doesn't
exist, why not leverage that?

> <DB>People can always make the decision on which service (e.g. a bank
> account) to use because they can read. Computers find it much harder
> as they don't understand the semantics.</DB>

Probably not, but my computer can still make selections without having
to understand semantics. The proposal I made was to name things, so you
only need to recognize the names, and that a computer can easily do.

> <DB>You could expose it as part of your WSDL definition. However
> before it could be used, someone else would have to write software
> that could interpret the semantics of the definition so that it could
> make an appropriate decision. Although this is possible, I don't see
> it happening unless and until there is some standardization of the
> semantics around how you describe the rules and regulations as the
> cost of developing the software for all the different ways of
> describing the semantics would be prohibitive.</DB>

Not contradicting anything I'm saying. I could also make it a property
in a UDDI entry and do a search based on that property. If only I could
have something I could reference ;-)

arkin