Re: Revised: Mission Statement

Daniel_Austin@grainger.com wrote:

><mission statement group = "ws-chor" type="CSF level 0" version = "1.0">
>The mission of the Web Services Choreography Working Group at W3C is to
>specify the means by  which Web Services may collaborate with external
>systems, specifically in the composition of multiple services and the
>sequencing of messages among them.
></mission statement>

I have a few comments on the specifics of the definition, but what I
like about this definition is that it's so generic that it allows us to
consider alternative outputs. Back in May, Mike Champion proposed the
idea (quoted below) that we specify the way in which existing
technologies should be used to handle choreographies. Considering all
the discussions we've had on WSDL yes/no, XSDL good/bad, pi-calculus vs
no-calculus, best practice and implementation nightmares, I think doing
just that would by itself offer tremendous value to the community.

3. Basically do what WS Aarchitecture should do but doesn't really have the
focus or the expertise to do well: Make sense out of the bleedin' nightmare
that is WS Choroegraphy  / Orchestration / Business Process Execution /
Business Process Description / Workflow / etc.  Define the principles,
describe how they apply to the various "standards" out there now or in
production, and generally act as a referee in the food fight that is going
on.

><mission statement group = "ws-chor" type="CSF level 0" version = "1.1a">
>The mission of the Web Services Choreography Working Group at W3C is to
>specify one or more XML-based languages building on the foundation of WSDL
>1.2 to provide interoperability among Web Services in their communications
>and ordering of events.
></mission statement>

That definition is not bad, just a bit too generic. WS-RM.1 and WS-RM.2
already do that ;-)

arkin

--
"Those who can, do; those who can't, make screenshots"

Assaf Arkin                                          arkin@intalio.com
Intalio Inc.                                           www.intalio.com
The Business Process Management Company                 (650) 577 4700

If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments
and notify us immediately.