Re: Revised: Mission Statement

From: Andrew Berry <andyb@whyanbeel.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:11:53 +1000
To: public-ws-chor@w3.org

> Jon Dart wrote:
>
> > Several statements have been made about the kind of model we don't
> want.
> > But IMO it is not really clear enough what we do want.
> >
> > If I understand things correctly (a fairly big "if"), one
> requirement is
> > that there be basically one model for both client & server (or peer
> and
> > its peer, if you want to be more egalitarian). This means that I
> don't
> > need to model the messages one party sends and have a parallel model
> of
> > what the other party is receiving. The choreography description I
> expose
> > to my partners should be sufficient for them to interact with me.
> This
> > doesn't imply that there's one big model of all participants' message
> > flows - in fact I think you don't want this. But it does imply that
> as
> > party A directly interacting with party B, both parties have a model
> > they can both view and base their interactions on (could include > 2
> > participants also).

One of the issues that has come up for me in the past is that of
business contracts.  Business-to-business interaction tends to be
governed by legally-binding, written or unwritten contracts that
specify the required roles and behaviour of all participants.  Is a
choreography an electronic representation of a business contract for
the interaction?   If so, then perhaps model visibility/scope should be
defined by the contract boundaries.

Ciao,

AndyB