Re: The degenerate pi-calc use case

From: Andrew Berry <andyb@whyanbeel.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:52:10 +1000
To: public-ws-chor@w3.org

Jeff Lansing <jeff@polexis.com> wrote:
> This example is interesting, but it seems like a lot of machinery to
> describe what is essentially just connecting to something like a
> GetStockQuote service.
>
> What if you try to do something just a little harder, such as pulling
> (or pushing) the results of a StockQuote service through a
> CurrencyConverter service?
>
> Does the amount of pi-calculus machinery then become so cumbersome, in
> that case, that it starts to loose its intuitive appeal?

I certainly found this to be the case when attempting to formalise work
on a coordination language.  There were a variety of issues, but mostly
because pi-calculus is designed for describing the behaviour of a
concurrent program and not the cooperative behaviour of autonomous
distributed participants.  As noted in my first post
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-chor/2003Jul/0065.html)
the solution was to develop a formalism reflecting the higher-level
semantic concepts.  I did consider building that formalism on top of
the pi-calculus or other process algebra, but found other limitations
as well (global state assumption, interleaved concurrency model,
difficult to model locality).

Ciao,

AndyB