RE: Revised: Mission Statement

Martin, Mike:

There is clearly a concept of "choreography composition" whereby someone
is able to reuse a choreography within another choreography. I think
that this is the example that you provided. I personally view this as
significantly different from "web service composition" . WSC assumes
that there will be a specific (system) process that will do the routing
and mapping to the back end services. This process is very thin and
should be completely metadata driven.

My view (fantasy?) on how web services are created is such that people
will tend to wrap coarse "modules" (order entry, billing, inventory,
shipping, ...) behind web service. The question will inevitably come on
how do I use my "n" services in "p" choreographies (each one could
require a slightly different format or sequence of message
interchanges). It would be very useful to have some Web Service
Composition metadata defined somewhere by a spec with standard
implementations/engines. Now, is this the task of WS-Chor? is it the
task of the WSDL group using WS-CHOR? Is it yet another spec?

I view this level as different from Orchestration. For me orchestration
is "embedded" within these coarse modules providing them with the
ability to manage their long running state. Pretty much every business
object or collection of business objects has a long running state within
any given module: Every purchase order has a lifecycle within the OE
module. Traditionally this long running state management of business
object has been address by specific code. Now that these modules are
more and more interconnected, there a big need to standardize how we go
about managing this long running state.

Of course the confusion stems from the fact that all 3 levels
(Choreography, WSC, Orchestration) have overlapping semantics. For
instance, BPEL has tried to achieve the 3 levels in one specification.
Maybe that's a little too much to attempt in one step. It can create
cases where semantics are missing in order to fully address one level
(e.g. choreography) or offer semantics that cannot not be used at all
levels (e.g. the "partner" tag :-).

Ultimately, this WSC layer (Martin, I think you called it the glue at
some point) is key to both the success of choreography and
orchestration.

JJ-