RE: Orchestration "standards" pros and cons

Kenneth,

Your raise some important points. With requirements due out in April it is
of the utmost importance
that we gather requirements from as many sources as are relevant. All of the
other "standards" are
relevant to this and it is why they are listed as inputs to the process in
the charter.

Prof Van de Aalst's papers (the uri's have been included in previous emails
to this group) look at many
of these other standards and provides a basis (but not the only basis) for
comparison. So some work has
already been done and no doubt the working group will continue this and
further hone it.

Of course gathering requirements also requires the input from users and we
will also need to focus on
gathering requirements that are meaningful to them.  To this end I would
anticipate that users become
involved in the working group directly (as some are) and indirectly (through
vendors).

WSCI and WSCL are the only, for want of a better word, "submission" to the
working group because they
are already W3C inputs. Standards like BPSS, DAML-S and BPEL4WS are inputs
but not submission because
they are not W3C inputs (I think the correct term is "working notes").

A reading list will be provided in due course that includes various material
which helps to understand
the commonality and differences between the various standards and I hope
this provides useful in helping
you and the rest of us in understanding what is out there.

Cheers

Steve T