RE: Approaches to Web Services Choreography [was Same model for both Public and Private process ??]

I am convinced that you can do both approaches with WSCI/BPEL/BPML,
however, these standards forces you to think single-side bottom-up as
you always have to design the "internal process" view of the
collaboration. As you said, tools could fix this minor inconvenient. I
do see a much bigger issue which is what you agree on with your business
partners. I find it harder for me to agree on the view you have of the
collaboration rather than agreeing an a neutral view of the
collaboration like BPSS offers. As you can imagine we cannot agree on a
"picture" provided by a tool. What we agree on has to be machine
processable. The second issue I see is that if the choreography does not
rely on a a business collaboration protocol (I am surprised that years
of research on pi-calculus have not concluded to the importance of
business protocols to choreograph business collaboration) most of the
business choreographies cannot be expressed. As I say often, the paradox
of automation is exception handling: without a efficient and sufficient
exception handling mechanism you cannot automate. BPEL has no timeout on
invoke for instance.

So what you are recommending to use (WSCI/BPEL/BPML) amounts to: a)
modeling choreography that need to be fixed by good tools (watch out,
tools could produce their metamodel which could replace your
specifications), b) something hard to agree on in a bi- or multi-party
collaboration c) a complete lack of business semantic witnessed for
instance by the lack of intersection with a business collaboration
protocol.

I don't know if everybody agrees that WSCI/BPEL/BPML is the right
approach, maybe there is a better one that can be built that would
address a), b) and c).

JJ-