RE: Correlation Requirements

Assaf

I agree with most of what you say although I have a few questions in line
but one point struck home ...
>>>So we need some separation of concerns. We need to identify concerns that
are general to any kind of WS, and concerns that are specific to
choreography. Those that are specific to choreography, we should deal with.
Those that are general to any kind of WS, should be forwared to the
respective working group.<<<

... so let's try and build the list of areas of concern and classify them
as:
1. A WS-Chor concern which WS Chor needs to fix
2. A concern for WS-Chor and other groups which needs to be fixed.

The first we must tackle for the second we need to approach other groups.

Here's a start of a list ...

1. WS CHOR ONLY CONCERN
Defining a Choreography definition language that includes:
a) Message format independence, i.e. a message is defined in terms of its
semantics rather than its structure
b) Service implementation indpendence, i.e. the choreography is defined in
terms of the roles that take part in an implementation rather than the
specifics of a service implementation
b) Feature implementation indpenendence, e.g. how you do corellation,
security, reliability etc.
c) Composable, i.e. you can build new a choreography out of existing
choreographies in a hierachical way
d) Error handling, i.e. handling responses/compensation for problems found
in lower level choreographies or, at the lowest level, MEPs.
e) Multi-role, i.e. you can involve more than two roles in a choreography,
e.g. buyer, seller and shipper

2. SHARED CONCERN
WSDL and/or SOAP related:
a) Binding abstract messages to their physical equivalents definition
b) Services that can support hundreds of semantically equivalent messages
with different message formats
c) Binding abstract service definitions (that WS-Chor expresses as roles) to
concrete service implementations
d) Binding logical error handling to their physical implementations.
e) Identifying a set of related messages (correllation).

I am sure there are more ...

Once we have identified the shared areas of concern, we can then work what,
if anything, we do about them.

David