Re: Abstract Bindable Choreography

There are three issues here.

1. Does the fact that we use one notation prevents you from using a
different notation? Using the notation in a non-normative fashion
ensures that if you prefer to use a different notation you can. We don't
marry the language to the notation, only use the notation to clarify the
examples. So the notation should be considered on that merit.

2. Is the notation a good one to select for what you want to achieve? I
argue that BPMN would be easier to use and read than, for exampe, UML.
While it looks similar enough to UML, it has more explicit distinction
between event types (messages, time-outs, faults) and better handling of
roles, message direction, etc. So it leverages existing experience, but
provides a notation that is easier to grasp at first glance.

3. Is the model the right one to use?

There is one way to model choreographies which both BPMN and UML take.
See for example RN PIPs. And I have seen it used before with EDI and
other communication specifications (e.g. Internet protocols, distributed
algorithms). This approach is quite common in the B2B world, it depicts
the separate responsibilities of each partner in the choreography. It
also maps well to the underlying mobile process model, which can depict
complex choreographies, allow for better composition and reuse, etc.

I know you disagree with this assesment and prefer a different model
which shows one activity shared by both partners. Understandable. But if
we decide that the mobile process model is the better one to use, then
BPMN seems like the best notation we can utilize. Since we've so far
discussed using BPMN to model choreographies that fit into this
category, let's keep the discussion along these lines and not turn this
into a permathread about which model to use.

arkin