RE: Minutes of 2005-04-06 call

Fact: A SOAP FAULT is NOT allowed to flow on the HTTP Response in the
SOAP HTTP Binding when the HTTP status code is 2xx, per the SOAP HTTP
Binding.

Fact: Any new SOAP MEPs bound to HTTP must specify the allowable HTTP
status codes for SOAP Faults.

Assertion: The SOAP HTTP Binding behaviour should hold true for any new
bindings or MEPs, that is SOAP FAULTs cannot come with an HTTP 2xx.

Fact: WSDL in-only MEP does not allow SOAP Faults to be reported to the
application.

Fact: WSDL robust in-only MEP does allow SOAP Faults to be reported to
the application.

Fact: faults that are not SOAP Faults may be reported in a variety of
mechanisms that are unspecified in SOAP.

Assertion: I wish to specify SOAP MEPs supporting SOAP Faults.

Assertion: I do not care to specify SOAP MEPs for non-SOAP Faults, nor
do I wish to talk about this for a millisecond longer.

Assertion: I believe there is a direct and mandatory relationship
between SOAP Faults, new SOAP MEP(s) to transmit those SOAP Faults, the
HTTP Status codes for the SOAP Faults, and WSDL MEPs.

Proposal: As I proposed earlier, a SOAP in-optional-Fault MEP that is
bound to HTTP permits a SOAP Fault to be transmitted with some HTTP
Status codes of 4/5xx.  I believe this is superior to in-optional-out
SOAP MEP because it eliminates the uncertainty of whether a response can
be sent with an HTTP 2xx status code.  In my proposed MEP, an HTTP 2xx
means no SOAP response coming back, HTTP 4/5xx means possible SOAP
Fault.  This is an obvious SOAP MEP to default for WSDL robust in-only.

Cheers,
Dave

out-of-memory
> > errors can also occur). To me, this does not affect the MEP design
in
> > any way. The application may have to deal with it as it may see that
> > error somehow/somewhere, but this does not change the MEP (from an
> > in-only to robust-in-only). In the case of SOAP the change from
> > in-only to robust-in-only has to be made iff there may be a
SOAP-fault