RE: executing Cindy's proposed change - two questions

Philippe asked me to look at this issue from the WSDL 2.0 perspective, and I
confess that I'm unable to quickly reach a conclusion on whether the
operation name and direction are integral to the fault action pattern.
Cindy's objection rests on the cornerstone statement that "a fault message
has no meaning when considered outside the context of the targeted
operation."  I don't find anything in WSDL 2.0 that would conclusively
either affirm nor deny that statement.

Given a fault such as "unknown user", and two operations such as "getEmail"
and "changePassword", both of which could return the "unknown user" fault,
it seems to me to be a matter of interpretation as to whether the semantics
of the fault are the same for each operation (focusing on the "unknown user"
aspect), or whether the semantics differ slightly ("can't get email address
for unknown user" separate from "can't change password for unknown user.")

The WSDL 2.0 component model is suggestive of the status quo, as it defines
the structure of fault messages at the interface level, where they can be
referred to (and thus reused) by various operations.  Section 4.4.3 of the
WS-A Metadata spec defines the {action} property is defined for Interface
Fault components and not on Interface Fault Reference Components, but I
guess that's also part of Cindy's suggested change.

My conclusion is that the status quo is not obviously broken, and that the
opposite semantic of a per-operation fault action could be supported by
defining faults that are not reused between operations.  On the other hand,
the proposal is also not obviously broken, and that a per-fault action could
be supported by explicitly setting the same action on each fault reference
that refers to a particular fault.

My intuition tells me that developers will consider faults semantically
equivalent regardless of which operation provokes them, based on the long
but ultimately non-unanimous deliberations on faults in the WSDL WG.  But I
also acknowledge that WSDL 1.1 has set up the opposite expectation.

I have not been tracking the WG's deliberations so far, but it appears that
there is consensus that moving forward without objections is more
expeditious then moving forward without document churn.  I trust you to make
a wise decision in that regard.

Jonathan Marsh -  <http://www.wso2.com> http://www.wso2.com -
<http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com> http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com