Re: Consolodated changes for alterngive G prime

Hi Anish,
Unfortunately, in speaking to one of our policy experts, there seems to be
a negation concern with at least one scenario - the one in the example in
fact... consider the following

What is the meaning of Alternative 1 in this situation?

Example 3-8. Client looking for an endpoint which supports Addressing, and
does not require support for responses (will intersect with anything)
<wsp:Policy>
    <wsp:ExactlyOne>
        <wsp:All>
            <wsam:Addressing> <-- supports all response types -->
Alternative 1
                <wsp:Policy>
                </wsp:Policy>
            </wsam:Addressing>
        </wsp:All>
        <wsp:All>
            <wsam:Addressing> <-- requires Anonymous responses -->
Alternative 2
                <wsp:Policy>
                    <wsp:ExactlyOne>
                        <wsp:All>
                            <AnonymousResponses />
                        </wsp:All>
                    </wsp:ExactlyOne>
                </wsp:Policy>
            </wsam:Addressing>
        </wsp:All>
        <wsp:All>
            <wsam:Addressing> <-  requires nonAnonymous responses -->
Alternative 3
                <wsp:Policy>
                    <wsp:ExactlyOne>
                        <wsp:All>
                            <NonAnonymousResponses />
                        </wsp:All>
                    </wsp:ExactlyOne>
                </wsp:Policy>
            </wsam:Addressing>
        </wsp:All>
    </wsp:ExactlyOne>
</wsp:Policy>

My reading (of Framework, 3.2) is that because the AnonymousResponses
assertion is found in Alternative 2 that the negation rule means that
Alternative 1 includes a 'must not do AnonymousResponses meaning'. And
similarly that because of Alternative 3, Alternative 1 includes a 'must
not do NonAnonymousResponses meaning'.  If so, Alternative 1 (in this
context) does not mean "supports all response types", but in fact
"Addressing is supported but you must not send Anonymous or Non-Anonymous
response EPRs".

Do you agree with this interpretation?
David

David Illsley
Web Services Development
MP211, IBM Hursley Park, SO21 2JN
+44 (0)1962 815049 (Int. 245049)
david.illsley@uk.ibm.com

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing/2007Mar/0043.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing/2007Mar/0053.html

> >     3. Indicating Use of WS-Addressing
> >
> > This specification supports a mechanism for indicating, in a WSDL
> > description, that the endpoint conforms to the WS-Addressing
> > specification. That mechanism uses WS-Policy Framework [WS Policy 1.5
-
> > Framework <#WSPolicy>].
> >

> >       3.1 WS-Policy Assertions
> >
> > The mechanism for indicating that a binding or endpoint conforms to
the
> > WS-Addressing specification is through the use of the Web Services
> > Policy - Framework [WS Policy 1.5 - Framework <#WSPolicy>] and Web
> > Services Policy - Attachment [WS Policy 1.5 - Attachment
> > <#WSPolicyAttachment>] specifications. This specification defines
three
> > policy assertions.
> >
> > The wsam:Addressing policy assertion applies to the endpoint policy
subject.

> > For WSDL 1.1, these assertions may be attached to |wsdl11:port| or
> > |wsdl11:binding|. For WSDL 2.0, they may be attached to
> > |wsdl20:endpoint| or |wsdl20:binding|.
> >
> > A policy expression containing the wsam:Addressing policy assertion
MUST
> [...]

> > the wsdl:portType or wsdl20:interface is an abstract construct.
> >

> >         3.1.1 Addressing Assertion
> >
> > The wsam:Addressing policy assertion is a nested policy container
> > assertion. The meaning of this assertion, when present in a policy
> > alternative, is that WS-Addressing is required to communicate with the

> > subject. The wsam:Addressing assertion indicates that there are no
> > restrictions on the use of WS-Addressing unless otherwise qualified by

> > assertions in its nested policy expression.  In order to indicate that

> > the subject supports WS-Addressing but does not require its use, an
> > additional policy alternative should be provided which does not
contain
> > this assertion. This may be done in WS-Policy compact form by adding
the
> > attribute wsp:Optional="true" to the wsam:Addressing assertion.
> >

> >         3.1.2 AnonymousResponses Assertion
> >
> > The wsam:AnonymousResponses element MAY be used as a policy assertion
> > nested within the wsam:Addressing assertion in accordance with the
rules
> > laid down by WS-Policy Framework 1.5 section 4.3.2.
> >
> > The appearance of this element within a policy alternativethe
> > wsam:Addressing policy assertion indicates that the endpoint expresses

> > explicitrequires support for request messages with to use response
> > endpoint EPRs that contain the anonymous URI
> > ("http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/anonymous") as the value of
> > [address]. In other words, the endpoint guarantees support forrequires

> > the use of anonymous responses.
> >
> > The absence of the wsam:AnonymousResponses policy assertion within a
> > policy alternative does *not* indicate that the endpoint will not
accept
> > request messages with response endpoint EPRs that contain the
anonymous
> > URI as an address; it simply indicates the lack of any affirmation of
> > support for anonymous URIs.
> >
> > The None URI ("http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/none") may appear
as
> > the value of [address] in place of the anonymous URI; this value MUST
be
> > accepted.
> >

> >         3.1.3 NonAnonymousResponses Assertion
> >
> > The wsam:NonAnonymousResponses element MAY be used as a policy
assertion
> > nested within the Addressing assertion in accordance with the rules
laid
> > down by WS-Policy Framework 1.5 section 4.3.2. The
> > wsam:NonAnonymousResponses policy assertion MUST NOT be used in the
same
> > policy alternative as the wsam:AnonymousResponses policy assertion.
> >
> > The appearance of this element within a policy alternativethe
> > wsam:Addressing assertion indicates that the endpoint expresses
explicit
> > support forrequires request messages with to use response endpoint
EPRs
> [...]

> >             <wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >                 <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >                     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                         <wsp:All>
> >
> >                             <wsam:AnonymousResponses/>
> >
> >                             <wsam:NonAnonymousResponses/>
> >
> >                         </wsp:All>
> >
> >                     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                 </wsp:Policy>
> >
> >             </wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >         </wsp:All>
> >
> >     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> > </wsp:Policy>
> >
> > /Example 3-9. Subject requires WS-Addressing, requires explicit
support
> > of anonymous or non-anonymous response EPRs/
> >
> > <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >         <wsp:All>
> >
> >             <wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >                 <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >                     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                         <wsp:All>
> >
> >                             <wsam:AnonymousResponses/>
> >
> >                         </wsp:All>
> >
> >                     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                 </wsp:Policy>
> >
> >             </wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >         </wsp:All>
> >
> >         <wsp:All>
> >
> >             <wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >                 <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >                     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                         <wsp:All>
> >
> >                             <wsam:NonAnonymousResponses/>
> >
> >                         </wsp:All>
> >
> >                     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                 </wsp:Policy>
> >
> >             </wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >         </wsp:All>
> >
> >     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> > </wsp:Policy>
> >
> > /Example 3-610. Subject requires WS-Addressing and explicit support
> > ofrequires the use of non-anonymous response EPRs/
> >
> > <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >         <wsp:All>
> >
> >             <wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >                 <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >                     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                         <wsp:All>
> >
> >                             <wsam:NonAnonymousResponses/>
> >
> >                         </wsp:All>
> >
> >                     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                 </wsp:Policy>
> >
> >             </wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >         </wsp:All>
> >
> >     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> > </wsp:Policy>
> >

> >         3.1.6 Finding Compatible Policies
> >

> >         When a client is looking for an endpoint with compatible
policy,
> >         one common method used is to take the policy intersection
> >         between the policy which the client is looking for, and the
> >         policy asserted in the WSDL document; a non-empty intersection
> >         is sought. The policy used by the client must be written
> >         carefully to avoid unexpected results. This is most obvious
when
> >         the client is not looking for explicit support of a particular
> >         kind of response; failing to take care could mean missing a
> >         compatible policy.
> >
> > /Example 3-7. Client looking for an endpoint which supports
Addressing,
> > and which supports anonymous responses/
> >
> > <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >         <wsp:All>
> >
> >             <wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >                 <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >                     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                         <wsp:All>
> >
> >                             <AnonymousResponses Optional=?true? />
> >
> >                         </wsp:All>
> >
> >                     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                 </wsp:Policy>
> >
> >             </wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >         </wsp:All>
> >
> >     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> > </wsp:Policy>
> >
> > /Example 3-8. Client looking for an endpoint which supports
Addressing,
> > and does not require support for responses (will intersect with
anything)/

> > <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >         <wsp:All>
> >
> >             <wsam:Addressing> <-- supports all response types -->
> >
> >                 <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >                 </wsp:Policy>
> >
> >             </wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >         </wsp:All>
> >
> >         <wsp:All>
> >
> >             <wsam:Addressing> <-- requires Anonymous responses -->
> >
> >                 <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >                     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                         <wsp:All>
> >
> >                             <AnonymousResponses />
> >
> >                         </wsp:All>
> >
> >                     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                 </wsp:Policy>
> >
> >             </wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >         </wsp:All>
> >
> >         <wsp:All>
> >
> >             <wsam:Addressing> <-  requires nonAnonymous responses -->
> >
> >                 <wsp:Policy>
> >
> >                     <wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                         <wsp:All>
> >
> >                             <NonAnonymousResponses />
> >
> >                         </wsp:All>
> >
> >                     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> >                 </wsp:Policy>
> >
> >             </wsam:Addressing>
> >
> >         </wsp:All>
> >
> >     </wsp:ExactlyOne>
> >
> > </wsp:Policy>
> >

> >         For more detailed descriptions of the use of wsp:Optional,
> >         wsp:Ignorable, and strict and lax intersection, please refer
> >         the WS-Policy Primer [WS Policy 1.5 - Primer
<#WSPolicyPrimer>].

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.