Re: Follow-up to Question on CR33

Doug,

When we had an off-line chat about this a while ago, I suggested that it
was very likely, for any given operation, that anon and foo were likely
to be mutually exclusive.

I personally don't believe the proposal that you and Anish put forward
("[not] a real address") is objectionable, in the sense that Jonathan
has suggested -- that it pollutes WS-A with RM-ness. However, I can see
that it does make the contract specification more vague.

Going back to our earlier conversation: Why not define an RM WSDL marker
to say: "a special address, the RM anon URI", and set WS-A
anon=prohibited (or whatever the syntax is), or omit the WS-A marker
altogether?

In the concrete case of RM, it would seem wrong to use WS-A anon, when
the application wants to use RM anon. The two URIs are quite different,
to my way of thinking -- the RM Anon URI is like a hybrid of WS-A anon
and none, in that it permits the responder to decide whether to reply,
and if it does choose to do so, it must be on the back-channel. I still
think that WS-A anon does not permit a null response (a mere ack), on my
reading of the WS-A SOAP Binding. Therefore, one could argue that trying
to overload the same WSDL marker for very different behaviours is not
good practice/not precise enough.

Overall, the question seems to be: should WS-A attempt to accommodate
additional special URIs, or just deal, at its level, with its own
limited repertoire? It almost feels like what you want is an extension
facility built in to WS-A WSDL, so you can put an app-defined value in a
WS-A marker (special="foo").

Alastair