Re: An Example Use of RM's MakeConnection

We're not talking about state information - we're talking about an
endpoint's identity.
http://...wsrm/anon?id=123 does not convey state information any more than
http://www.cnn.com does. Both simply provide a way for us to know we're
not talking to http://abcnews.com.  See my previous note [1]

thanks,
-Doug

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing/2006Oct/0067.html

Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM
10/10/2006 07:17 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
public-ws-addressing@w3.org
Subject

On Oct 10, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Doug Davis wrote:

>   So, if people are passing around EPRs I get really worried at the
> suggestion that something else needs to be passed around as well in
> order to correctly talk to that EPR.  The thought that people will
> need to revamp all of their code that deals with EPRs to also pass
> along additional information is something that should not be taken
> lightly.

In a long running exchange there can be a lot more context to keep
track of than just the address of the endpoint you are talking to.
E.g. if you are using WS-SecureConversaiton you need to track the
security context you go to lots of trouble to establish. There can
also be transaction contexts, message sequence numbers and assorted
other state information. Its also possible that two endpoints can
have multiple simultaneous exchanges where each of the above things
is different. I don't think its really practical to only use EPRs in
the way you suggest and I don't think we should try to cram all that
state information into the EPR either.

Marc.

> [...]
> >   <soap:Body>
> >    <wsrm:CreateSequence> ... </wsrm:CreateSequence>
> >   </soap:Body>
> > </soap:Envelope>
> >
> > Notice the use of RelatesTo with a WSRM-specific
> @RelationshipType to
> > indicate that this message is a WSRM-specific response to the
> initial
> > request.
> >
> > Step 3 - Client sends a CreateSequenceResponse to wsa:ReplyTo
> > <soap:Envelope ...>
> >   <soap:Header>
> >    <wsa:To> http://stockquote.com </wsa:To>
> >    <wsa:Action> http://...wsrm/CreateSequenceResponse </wsa:Action>
> >    <wsa:RelatesTo> uuid://.../101 </wsa:RelatesTo>
> >   </soap:Header>
> >   <soap:Body>
> >    <wsrm:CreateSequenceResponse> ... </wsrm:CreateSequenceResponse>
> >   </soap:Body>
> > </soap:Envelope>
> >
> > Step 4 - Having not received the GetQuoteResponse, the Client uses
> > MakeConnection to allow it to flow back
> > <soap:Envelope ...>
> >   <soap:Header>
> >    <wsa:To> http://stockquote.com </wsa:To>
> >    <wsa:Action> http://...wsrm/MakeConnection </wsa:Action>
> >    <wsa:ReplyTo>
> >     <wsa:Address>http://www.w3.org/.../anonymous</wsa:Address>
> >    </wsa:ReplyTo>
> >    <wsa:RelatesTo RelationshipType="http://...wsrm/InitialRequest">
> >      uuid://.../100
> >    </wsa:RelatesTo>
> >   </soap:Header>
> >   <soap:Body>
> >    <wsrm:MakeConnection>
> >    </wsrm:MakeConnection>
> >   </soap:Body>
> > </soap:Envelope>
> >
> > Notice the use of the wsa:RelatesTo with a WSRM-specific
> > @RelationshipType to indicate that this message is requesting a
> > response to the initial request message.
> >
> > Step 5 - Server uses the backchannel to let the GetQuoteResponse
> flow
> > back to the Client
> > <soap:Envelope ...>
> >   <soap:Header>
> >    <wsa:To>http://www.w3.org/.../anonymous</wsa:To>
> >    <wsa:Action> foo://GetQuoteResponse </wsa:Action>
> >    <wsa:RelatesTo> uuid://.../100 </wsa:RelatesTo>
> >    <wsrm:Sequence> ... </wsrm:Sequence>
> >   </soap:Header>
> >   <soap:Body>
> >    <foo:GetQuoteResponse> 139.0 </foo:GetQuoteResponse>
> >   </soap:Body>
> > </soap:Envelope>
> >
> > Notice the wsa:RelatesTo points to the GetQuote request message and
> > it is sent using RM (the Sequence header), and that the SOAP
> Envelope
> > looks exactly like it would if it had been sent on the original
> > transport backchannel - meaning, the wsa:To is derived from the
> > wsa:ReplyTo from the GetQuote request message not the
> MakeConnection.
> >
> > ---
> > Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
> > Business Alliances, CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.

---