RE: Visitors Guide to Vancouver - tabling anyone?

Dave,

Many thanks for the useful guide!  Definitely looking forward to my third visit to that wonderful city.

As an US citizen working for a Canadian company, I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned the opposing meanings of the word "table" with regard to the rules of order for a meeting:

- When a Canadian tables a motion, it is put on the table for discussion.
The Glossary of Parliamentary Procedures at the Canadian Parliament web site
http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/process/house/glossary/glossary2004-e.htm defines "table" as follows:
table * (déposer) * To place a document before the House or a committee for consideration or consultation. * Synonym: lay on the table

- When someone from the US tables a motion, it is withdrawn from the table, for later consideration.

It's often amusing to watch this in action, when the same word has the opposite meaning.....
Most people in the US seem to be oblivious to the confusion.

I'd have to argue that the Canadian usage is correct, since it is the same as the UK usage.  (And obviously the Queen rules!)

Regards,
Paul

 not to do, is to wear a backpack with a big Canadian flag.