Re: Clarification for WS-RX

Dave,

> 5.1.2 SOAP 1.2
> When "http://www.w3.org/@@@@/@@/addressing/anonymous" is specified
> for an endpoint in the request part of a SOAP request-response
> message exchange [SOAP 1.2 Part 2: Adjuncts], then any message sent
> to that endpoint MUST be the response part of the same SOAP request-
> response message exchange [SOAP 1.2 Part 2: Adjuncts].

This makes no sense to me at all. First off, what endpoint? The response
endpoint? Any EPR? I certainly
hope not the latter. It actually makes the situation worse, not better
than the status quo.

The spec [1] currently reads:

When "http://www.w3.org/@@@@/@@/addressing/anonymous" is specified for the
response
 endpoint and the request is the request part of a SOAP request-response
MEP [SOAP 1.2 Part 2: Adjuncts],
then any response MUST be the response part of the same SOAP
request-response
MEP [SOAP 1.2 Part 2: Adjuncts].

therefore, one would assume that what you possibly *meant* to write was:

 When "http://www.w3.org/@@@@/@@/addressing/anonymous" is specified
 for the response endpoint in the request part of a SOAP request-response
 message exchange [SOAP 1.2 Part 2: Adjuncts], then any message sent
 to that endpoint MUST be the response part of the same SOAP request-
 response message exchange [SOAP 1.2 Part 2: Adjuncts].

However, I'm not at all clear that this is at all a meaningful
improvement. By definition, any message
is the response. Are you trying to say that the endpoint has a scope of
exactly that MEP and that it has
no meaning outside the context of that instance of the MEP? If so, then
say that in plain english.

The term "response endpoint" is first introduced here (section 5.1), and
is not
defined anywhere. It is also only used in sections 5.1 and 5.2 of the SOAP
binding spec. Possibly,
what was meant was to be more precise and refer to the [reply endpoint]
property. I would offer up that IMO,
it should also apply to the [fault endpoint] property, as I see no reason
that you can't have the
[reply endpoint] be non-anonymous and the [fault endpoint] be anonymous.

 When "http://www.w3.org/@@@@/@@/addressing/anonymous" is specified
 for either, or both, of the [reply endpoint] and/or [fault endpoint],
then
 any use of that endpoint reference as a [destination] MUST be scoped to
 the same instance of a given SOAP message exchange pattern such as the
 SOAP request-response message exchange pattern [SOAP 1.2 Part 2:
Adjuncts].

Basically, this says that the anonymous [reply endpoint] and [fault
endpoint] EPR is useless outside
the context of an instance of a given MEP. It is not clear to me that you
would want to limit the definition
to its relevance to the SOAP R-R MEP. Other MEPs may be defined for which
the anon [reply endpoint]
property has relevance.

However, getting back to Umit's point, I think it is critical to
distinguish the semantics of
the anonymous URI as being independent of the EPR element that carries it.

In your previous note [1] in response to Katy's proposed resolution for
CR23, you made the following
observation:

My larger concern is how one would build on this.  I may use anonymous
as the address of any EPR.  What this means depends on the MEP and
definition of the EPR in question (i.e., whether it's [destination],
[reply endpoint], AcksTo or whatever, IIUC).  The SOAP request-response
MEP defines a channel for response messages.

Is this meant to say that, in the context of a SOAP request-response
MEP, use of anonymous MUST refer to use of the response message, or that
it MAY refer to it?  If it's MUST, this disallows the proposed use for
cases where a TCP connection is kept open.  If it's MAY, then referring
to anonymous doesn't guarantee use of the back channel.  If it's
neither, just exactly what are we saying?

If we're trying to say that, in the context of request-response,
anonymous always and only refers to the response message of
request-response, then fine, but then let's say it in as many words.

The key phrase here IMO is "context". You are defining the semantics of
the anonymous [address] property
for the [reply endpoint] in the context of a SOAP MEP. In the case of the
WS-RX AcksTo EPR, we define its
context to an MEP + Sequence Identifier. That is to say that if a SOAP
message is received that carries the
same Sequence Identifier as was created in response to the CreateSequence
that carried the anon AcksTo,
that the ack may be sent using the channel provided by the MEP/binding on
which the received
SOAP message arrived.

I would offer up the following definition of the semantics of the anon URI
for your amusement:

The "http://www.w3.org/@@@@/@@/addressing/anonymous" URI MAY be specified
as
the [address] of an EPR to designate that the target endpoint is reached
via
a contextualized channel of the underlying SOAP protocol binding. The
specification
of the relevant context is provided by the definition of the EPR element
itself
as it relates to the underlying SOAP protocol binding and/or SOAP Message
Exchange Pattern definitions.

I think that this permits the definition of the semantics of the anon URI
for the [reply endpoint] and [fault endpoint]
by specifying that the context of that EPR is defined by virtue of the
SOAP MEP, as I have suggested
above.

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing/2006Feb/0175.html