RE: CR 20: amalgamated proposal

If we leave CR4 aside, the only thing the proposal says is that for r/r
interactions:

1. messages sent on the "reply channel" of a SOAP r/r have an anonymous To,
which is also the default value.
2. this spec does not define any other use of anonymous (or other default).

So WSA would not define additional defaults or other use cases of the
anonymous URI for more specific situations, but does not prevent anyone
from doing so either.

My understanding is that the TCP binding keeps a connection open after the
first message is transmitted and messages are then exchanged in both
directions over the open channel. As you say, you may want to optimize by
defaulting To in all those messages. I don't see how the text would prevent
you from doing so except that you need to explicitly state that you are
adding an additional convention to the WSA defaulting rules. With the
current text you would need to extend the interpretation of anonymous:
"when using the TCP transport binding, anonymous (also) means using the
already open TCP connection", which simply adds to what WSA says now. With
this proposal you would say "when using the TCP transport, default To to
anonymous and interpret anonymous to mean using the already open TCP
connection". Not a big difference, I think.

As for the CR4 text, I think it can easily accommodate the TCP binding use
case.

Paco

                      "Jonathan Marsh"
                      <jmarsh@microsoft.com>          To:       "Jonathan Marsh" <jmarsh@microsoft.com>, "Anish Karmarkar"
                      Sent by:                         <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>, <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
                      public-ws-addressing-req        cc:
                      uest@w3.org                     Subject:  RE: CR 20: amalgamated proposal

                      02/16/2006 05:59 PM

And another reason for retaining the current spec from our engineers.
We have bindings under development such as a binding to TCP where the
anonymous wsa:To makes perfect sense in request messages (I don't
understand the details of TCP well enough to describe how that's
possible).  For such a binding, we would take advantage of the nice
optimization of defaulting of wsa:To to anonymous in request messages.
Building the defaulting at the SOAP level rather than again and again at
the level of underlying transports is more efficient.