Re: WSA From

From: John Kemp <john.kemp@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:56:24 +0000
Cc: Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>, public-ws-addressing@w3.org
To: "ext Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>

On Feb 9, 2006, at 9:29 PM, ext Mark Baker wrote:

> I've seen this too.  HTTP "From" works similarly;
>
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.22

Quoted from the referenced link:

"The From request-header field, if given, SHOULD contain an Internet
e-mail address for the human user who controls the requesting user
agent." [...]

Clearly an identifier, not a physical endpoint.

And:

On 2/9/06, Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>> In many B2B scenarios with which I am familiar, the "From" is used to
>> identify the party that
>> sent the message. It is not intended to be some sort of physical
>> endpoint
>> (typically) but a logical
>> identifier that serves to identify the party (e.g. http://
>> www.ibm.com/)

Indeed.

So, shouldn't wsa:From be simply a URI, rather than an EPR? And
having used such a syntax, shouldn't we imbue it also with the
semantics of an identifier, in a manner similar to that of the above-
referenced section of RFC2616?

- JohnK