Re: WSA From

From: Doug Davis <dug@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:04:08 -0500
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Mark Little <mark.little@jboss.com>, public-ws-addressing@w3.org, public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org, Paul Fremantle <pzfreo@gmail.com>
Couldn't the same thing be said about wsa:ReplyTo (or any other header) if
the WSA spec doesn't disallow their use for other purposes?

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Sent by: public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org
02/09/2006 02:54 PM

Mark Little <mark.little@jboss.com>
Paul Fremantle <pzfreo@gmail.com>, public-ws-addressing@w3.org
Re: WSA From

Speaking just as me...

It sounds like there are a lot of potential use cases for From.

What's less than clear is whether they're compatible; i.e., if WS-Foo
says wsa:From should contain a URI that corresponds to the MAC
address of your ethernet controller, WS-Bar says wsa:From should
contain a urn:uuid for your service (as we're already seeing from our
friends from the North, apparently), and WS-Baz says it should be
your IP address, how do you use these specifications in a
"composable" fashion?

Of course, From could changed to allow more than one URI, but then
how do you pick which one is the appropriate one? E.g., if I see
three http:// URIs in there, which one is MY From?

Smashing a bunch of different use cases into one vague semantic
bucket isn't interoperable; it's asking for trouble. I see no reason
why these different cases can't specify different headers to contain
the information they need; yes, WS-Addressing is one boat that they
could hop onto on the way to standards paradise, but there are others.