RE: Clarification on MessageId

From: Rogers, Tony <Tony.Rogers@ca.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 17:26:11 +1100
To: <chinthaka@wso2.com>, "[WS-A]" <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
"UUID" means Universally Unique ID - it's basically a GUID without an MS trademark :-)  It would normally be a 128 bit number, usually presented as a hex string of 32 digits in the format 12345678-1234-1234-1234-1234567890ab - is that the kind of number you are seeing? If so, then it suggests that they are using the UUID method to generate numbers that are likely to be unique (for fairly large values of "likely"). This is not a bad idea, but I didn't think it was mandated.
I would have thought that one might use EITHER uuid: OR urn: as a prefix to the message id - using both seems a little excessive.
Perhaps one of our MS representatives might care to comment?