NEW ISSUE: wsa:Action header and SOAPAction HTTP header are of different types but required to be the same

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:37:27 -0700
To: WSI Basic <wsi_wsbasic@lists.ws-i.org>
CC: "public-ws-addressing@w3.org " <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

Basic Profilers,

WS-Addressing wsa:Action header block is of type absolute URI [1].
SOAPAction HTTP header [2] is a URI reference (but not required to be
absolute). Per the WS-Addressing SOAP binding [3] the two must either be
the same or the SOAPAction HTTP header value must be "".

It therefore follows from the three specs referenced above that any
SOAP/HTTP message that uses WS-Addressing cannot have a SOAPAction HTTP
header with a value that is not an absolute URI (with the exception of
""). I.e., relative URIs (other than the empty string) are prohibited.

The WS-Addressing WG felt that this was clearly stated by the three
specifications involved, but there were concerns expressed within the
WS-A WG that this may not be very obvious to the readers (who have to
connect the dots). It was felt that such clarification fell within the
purview of WS-I Basic Profile WG and the WS-A WG wanted to bring this to
your attention.

Thanks and regards.

-Anish Karmarkar
on behalf of WS-Addressing WG