From: public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Anish
Karmarkar
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:08 PM
To: Springer, Ian P.
Cc: public-ws-addressing@w3.org
Subject: Re: SOAP Binding and SOAPAction in SOAP 1.1 -- editorial issue

[removed the public-ws-addressing-comment from the cc list]

Ian,

I was trying to cover the case of the SOAP 1.1 HTTP binding as defined
by SOAP 1.1 spec, as well as the one-way SOAP 1.1 HTTP binding as
defined by WS-I Basic Profile [1] -- which can be considered to be a
modification of the SOAP 1.1 spec binding or a completely new binding.

But, in both cases it is still the HTTP request that has the SOAPAction
HTTP header. So your suggestion of using: "The value of the HTTP
*Request* header ..." works and is a better alternative for the reason
that you point out. So +1.

-Anish
--
[1] http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1-2004-08-24.html

Springer, Ian P. wrote:

>     There is an editorial issue with the  paragraph quoted above (old
as
>     well as new). SOAPAction HTTP header is required by SOAP 1.1 and
BP
>     1.1 only in the case of HTTP request and not for the HTTP
response.
>     The current wordings make it appear that the value of SOAPAction
>     HTTP header must be either "[action]" or "" for both the HTTP
>     request and response. To disambiguate this, I would like to
suggest
>     a ed. modification:
>
>     "Use of the SOAPAction HTTP header is required* in the HTTP
Request*
>     when using the SOAP 1.1 HTTP binding.* *The value of the
SOAPAction
>     HTTP header*, if present,* MUST either be "[action]" or "" (quotes
>     are significant). The latter case supports the ability to obscure
>     the wsa:Action header through SOAP-level security mechanisms,
>     without requiring otherwise unnecessary transport-level security.
>     SOAPAction value different to "[action]" or "", results in the
>     generation of an Action Mismatch fault (see 5.4.1.6 Action
Mismatch)."