Re: Multiple Addresses in an EPR

From: Conor P. Cahill <concahill@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 07:47:11 -0400
To: "Mark Little" <mark.little@arjuna.com>
cc: "Mark Nottingham" <mark.nottingham@bea.com>, WS-Addressing <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

Mark Little wrote on 10/16/2005, 7:33 AM:

 > I agree with the requirement. I just disagree that it's so fundamental
 > that it has to be within WS-Addressing.

As far as I can tell, if you don't do this, you end up with either

    a) requiring multiple EPRs,
    b) having some elements defined in Metadata to
       carry the same information
    c) forcing it into a layer above addressing such
       as within DNS or within a router

a) is a pain for both the generator and expecially for the
conumer of the EPR as they somehow have to recognize that
the two EPRs are otherwise equal.

b) is placing essentially equivalent data in two different
locations within an EPR -- something that just seems wrong
to me.

c) can be done anyway, but then all of WS-Addressing can
(and already is) done outside of the SOAP layer.  I presume
that someone believes having this information in the SOAP
layer is advantageous.

WS-Addressing has chosen to define an EPR format that carries
an address for an endpoint.  If someone is to profile that
there are multiple physical endpoints associated with the
logical endpoint described by the EPR, then WS-A needs
to at least provide a location where this information is
to be carried -- hence my request for allowing the Address
element to be multi-occurance.

Conor