"On the Web"

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:10:08 -0800
To: "WS-Addressing" <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
I was correct in my guess that "on the web" had been removed from the
web arch during my absence from the TAG.

The 20031209 version, http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031209/,
contains the text

Note: The Web Architecture does not require a formal definition of the
commonly used phrase "on the Web." Informally, a resource is "on the
Web" when it has a URI and an agent can use the URI to retrieve a
representation of it using network protocols (given appropriate access
privileges, network connectivity, etc.). See the related TAG issue
httpRange-14 <http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist.html#httpRange-14> .

Slightly later, it says

Access may take many forms, including retrieving a representation of
resource state (for instance, by using HTTP GET or HEAD),

Jonathan's point that "on the web" isn't defined is correct.

Dave