endpoint terminology confusion

From: Dan Diephouse <dan@envoisolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 12:57:29 -0400
To: public-ws-addressing@w3.org

I am becoming a little bit confused by WS-Terminology as of late, and I
am hoping to clear up some confusion as to what exactly is meant by an
"endpoint".  I'm not sure if this list is the best place to ask, but I
don't know of a better one at the moment..

In the WS-A proposal, an endpoint is defined as: "A Web service endpoint
is a (referenceable) entity, processor, or resource where Web service
messages can be targeted."

And allow me to bring in the WSDL 2.0 definition for my question: "An
endpoint associates a network address with a binding."

I am confused about where the endpoint actually is in the stack. For
example, SOAP is theoretically transport independent. I would define an
endpoint as the transport agnostic part which processes the Envelope.
Then I could theoretically share my soap service over many transports
(http, smtp, etc).  But I could see how an endpoint could also be
defined in such a way that it only has one address? Or does WS-A not
even care - just as long as its referencable? Or am I comparing apples
to oranges with the above definitions?

Cheers,

- Dan

--