Re: TIBCO objects to last call (resend)

Martin Gudgin wrote:

> I wasn't aware that 'I don't like the resolution to an issue' was
> grounds for objecting to last call.

Was there something unclear about "Whatever the final resolution of i050
and i054, there currently remain significant questions as to the meaning
of MAPs in the specification." followed by a list of specific questions
which have been raised but gone unanswered?

Section 7.4.2 of the process document is silent as to members' desire to
meet a particular deadline as a criterion for Last Call.  It does,
however, state

    Purpose: A Working Group's Last Call announcement is a signal that:

        * the Working Group believes that it has satisfied its relevant
          technical requirements (e.g., of the charter or requirements
          document) in the Working Draft;

  Given the lack of substantive answers to the questions posed and to
others, we don't see how we can even remotely make that statement.  It
further states

    Ideally, after a Last Call announcement, a Working Group receives
    only indications of support for the document, with no proposals for
    substantive change.

Clearly, this is not going to be the case should we go to LC now.

We strongly believe that going to LC at this point would be a misuse of
the LC designation, and would be counterproductive in that issues which
we ought to be able to resolve amongst ourselves will end up raised to
the level of formal objections.  In short, we will get done sooner with
a better end result if we do not go to LC now.  By "better end result" I
mean technically stronger and more likely to be widely adopted,
regardless of whether particular decisions fall the way any particular
party would like.

We also don't like the resolution of i054, but we can talk about that if
the group is willing to back away from the "Last Call at all costs"
mentality and the associated procedural battles, which I for one would
very much wish to avoid.  We have not yet exhausted the possibilities
for resolving the various MAP-related issues (and by resolving I mean
actually resolving to the satisfaction of all, as opposed to having a
20-minute discussion and taking a stab so we can mark an issue closed).
Let's focus on that instead.