Re: wsa:Action in responses

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:50:04 +0100
To: "Nilo Mitra (TX/EUS)" <nilo.mitra@ericsson.com>
Cc: WS-Addressing <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
Hi Nilo.

* Nilo Mitra (TX/EUS) <nilo.mitra@ericsson.com> [2005-03-16 14:49-0600]
> What does the clause "(and opaquely)" mean in the definition below?
>

> > Actually, I see [action] associated with a message, not any
> > particular sending or receiving node: as the spec describes
> > it, it is "an identifier that uniquely (and opaquely)
> > identifies the semantics implied by this message."
> >

> To whom is this property opaque? Am I right in assuming that it is opaque to the sending and receiving ***nodes*** but quite meaningful to the sending and consuming ***applications*** using this message for data interchange?

I interpret this as being opaque to everybody but the issuer of the
identifier. IOW, either your application knows about it and therefore
understands the carried meaning, or it doesn't, and it cannot guess.

I am not sure what value it brings and whether it's really useful to
have this specified here, as it may be the source of confusion.

Cheers,

Hugo

--
Hugo Haas - W3C