Re: Why is [destination] defined as an IRI?

That does not mean that properties (other than [destination]) are not
required by the receiving endpoint. Reference Parameters are indeed
required by the receiving endpoint, but they are not bound in
[destination] (as it is an IRI); instead they are bound as separate SOAP
header blocks (for the SOAP binding).
This means that any extensibility element defined in an EPR, if needed
to be present in the message, has to define how it is bound. If
[destination] were an EPR, then this may not be needed depending on the
extensibility point. In fact, I happen to think that having
[destination] an EPR and including the Reference Parameters in it is a
better solution than binding Reference Parameters as separate SOAP
header blocks because of problems with security and composability.

-Anish