Re: Issue LC90

+1

The retransmission will have the same Sequence/Identifier+MessageNumber as
the original. It doesn't change.
I believe the same could be said of ws-reliability.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html
phone: +1 508 377 9295

public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org wrote on 06/27/2005 03:50:20 PM:

> David Hull wrote:
> If a message is retransmitted for reliability purposes, the payload
(that is, the message the
> reliability layer thinks it's sending) will be retransmitted verbatim.
The [message id] is part
> of this, so it will be the same in both versions, just as the other WSA
headers will be, and the
> body for that matter.  There will be no part of the message payload that
could be used to tell if
> the message is a replay or a retransmission.  This is why the
reliability layer uses its own
> sequence number.  The retransmission will have a separate sequence
number.  The security layer can
> use this information to distinguish retransmissions from replays.  It
can't use anything in the payload.
> Actually my understanding is quite the opposite. The sequence Id and the
messageNumber in sequence
> must remain the same for retransmissions. Where as no such requirement
on timestamp. I don't
> believe retransmissions will have a separate sequence number. The
messageId stays the same. Given
> that I think it is useful to state this..
> The current text says that the security layer should take care to
consider information that will
> not change when trying to see if anything has changed.  The new text
points out that the [message
> id] will not change with a retransmission and looking at it won't help.
Further, it uses a SHOULD
> NOT, instead of a MUST NOT, so that anyone who really wants to fold in
redundant information is
> free to do so.
>
> Francisco Curbera wrote:
> Issue LC90 proposes changing the following paragraph in the security
> section,
>
> "Some processors may use message identifiers ([message id]) as part of a
> uniqueness metric in order to detect replays of messages. Care should be
> taken to ensure that for purposes of replay detection, the message
> identifier is combined with other data, such as a timestamp, so that a
> legitimate retransmission of the message is not confused with a replay
> attack."
>
> to the alternate text,
>
> "For purposes of reliability and security, the [message id] property
SHOULD