Re: Issue LC90

Francisco Curbera wrote:

>Again, my understanding is that you filter our replay attacks before you do
>anything else, including RM.

The retransmission in both ws-reliablity and ws-reliable messaging specs
uses the same sequenceID message number pair as the original request,
not a new one.

The  rm spec uses its own sequenceID, sequenceID pair because it needs
to work even when
ws addressing is not in use.

Tom Rutt

> [...]
>>

>>                     David Hull
>>

>>                     <dmh@tibco.com>          To:       Francisco
>>

>Curbera/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
>

>>                                              cc:
>>

>public-ws-addressing@w3.org
>

>>                     06/27/2005 02:03         Subject:  Re: Issue LC90
>>

>>                     PM
>>

>>If a message is retransmitted for reliability purposes, the payload (that
>>is, the message the reliability layer thinks it's sending) will be
>>retransmitted verbatim.  The [message id] is part of this, so it will be
>>the same in both versions, just as the other WSA headers will be, and the
>>body for that matter.  There will be no part of the message payload that
>>could be used to tell if the message is a replay or a retransmission.
>>

>This
>

>>is why the reliability layer uses its own sequence number.  The
>>retransmission will have a separate sequence number.  The security layer
>>can use this information to distinguish retransmissions from replays.  It
>>can't use anything in the payload.
>>
>>The current text says that the security layer should take care to consider
>>information that will not change when trying to see if anything has
>>changed.  The new text points out that the [message id] will not change
>>with a retransmission and looking at it won't help.  Further, it uses a
>>SHOULD NOT, instead of a MUST NOT, so that anyone who really wants to fold
>>in redundant information is free to do so.
>>
>>Francisco Curbera wrote:
>>
>>     Issue LC90 proposes changing the following paragraph in the security
>>     section,
>>
>>     "Some processors may use message identifiers ([message id]) as part
>>     of a
>>     uniqueness metric in order to detect replays of messages. Care
>>

>should
>

>>     be
>>     taken to ensure that for purposes of replay detection, the message
>>     identifier is combined with other data, such as a timestamp, so that
>>     legitimate retransmission of the message is not confused with a
>>     replay
>>     attack."
>>
>>     to the alternate text,
>>
>>     "For purposes of reliability and security, the [message id] property
>>     SHOULD
>>     regarded simply as another part of the message payload.  It SHOULD
>>     NOT be
>>     used as part of a uniqueness metric in order to detect replays of
>>     messages,
>>     as a message with a given [message id] may be legitimately re-sent
>>     for
>>     purposes of reliable transmission."
>>
>>     We think that there is no justification to say that you one cannot
>>     use
>>     messageID as part of an uniqueness criterion for security purposes,
>>     so the
>>     "SHOULD NOT" in the proposed text is unjustified. The original text
>>     is more
>>     balanced, recognizing that message_if may be used and giving the

Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133