Re: on LC75

If we decide we an extensible messageId strucutre (which I do not see as
required) we could change the schema to someting like the following ,
using an attribute for mandatory globalID, on an extensbile sequence

   <xs:complexType name="MessageIdType2">
        <xs:sequence>
            <xs:element name="Index" type="xs:unsignedLong" minOccurs="0"/>
            <xsd:any namespace="##other" processContents="lax"
minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
        </xs:sequence>
        <xs:attribute name="globalId" type="xs:anyURI" use="required"/>
    </xs:complexType>

Tom Rutt wrote:

> Rich Salz wrote:
>
>>> If we go this route I'd like to suggest we also add an optional
>>> timestamp field. I've had several requests for WS-addressing to offer
>>> support for such a thing separate from the message id itself.
>>>

>> Can we point to wsu:Timestamp from OASIS WS-Security?
>>

> I had thought about this kind of extensibility, and one option would
> be to make the messageId complex type extensible in some way.
>
> Before we get carried away, however, I think we should consider
> keeping the messageId type just having semantics of identity.
> WS-Reliability has a messageId complex type which has other
> information carried beyond idenity (e.g., first message insequence,
> last message in sequence), which was done for "efficiency" purposes.
> However, this extra information is not necessary for the uniqueness
> of identity.
>
> One reason to have a message id which has a globalId with an integer
> index is for scalability purposes.  For examle, an endpoint could
> obtain its globalID URI at bootup time, using an integer counter of
> messages sent as the index.  This avoids generating a new globalID for
> each mesage, while keeping the messageId globally unique for each
> message sent.
>
> Another reaons for an integer index is to enabline ordering of ids.
> Both WS reliability and WS- Reliable messaging use the pair as their
> identity.  They both also add semantics of sequence to the messageID
> (i.e., they specify that the index must increase by one each time a
> new message is sent, and that the global ID represents a particular
> messageSequence)  This sequence ID can be used for
> control opeations pertainig to that sequence (eg. to terminate it).
>
> .
>
> However, in some cases the sequentiality might not be required.  Thus
> ws-addressing does not need to include the ordering
> semantics for the integer index .
>
> Now adding a timestamp is going beyond identity, and, for orthoganlity
> purposes, might be better to put somewhere else other than in the
> MessageId structure.
>
> If we do not need extensibility, then  ws addressing can have a
> message ID structure as follows (which is backwards compatible with
> the last call messageId syntax):
>

>    </xs:complexType><xs:complexType name="MessageIdType3">
>        <xs:simpleContent>
>            <xs:extension base="xs:anyURI">
>                <xs:attribute name="index" type="xs:unsignedLong"
> use="optional"/>
>            </xs:extension>
>        </xs:simpleContent>
>    </xs:complexType>
>

> Tom Rutt
>
>>     /r$

Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133